courtesy of Cooking Up A Sale
Bow Tie Chicken Pasta Salad
My sister-in-law recommended this refreshing salad recipe from her church cookbook. I gave it a try the last time avocados were on sale, and we loved it!
Sale Ingredients Used:
- Tyson frozen, boneless, skinless chicken breast ($5.59/40 oz bag)
- avocados (90 cents when you buy 11 items)
- grape tomatoes (90 cents when you buy 11 items)
- Meijer brand Italian dressing (90 cents when you buy 11 items)
2 large or 3 small-ish chicken breast pieces, cooked and diced
2 avocados, peeled, pitted, and chopped
1 cup diced tomato OR halved grape tomatoes
1 1/2 cups Italian dressing
1 – 12 oz box bow tie pasta, cooked, drained, and rinsed under cold water
Options and Tips
- This pasta salad should be eaten within three days of preparing it, because the avocado chunks get kind of mushy after that.
- This recipe makes a fairly large amount, so if you don’t think you’ll be able to finish if off in the recommended three days, just make a half batch.
- The measurement I gave for Italian dressing is approximate. Adjust it according to how “juicy” you like your pasta salad. I usually add an additional 1/4 cup or so right before serving, because the pasta seems to absorb the dressing as it sits.
This recipe can be found in its original form on page 52 of Hope Christian School’s “Our Favorites With a Twist” cookbook. It was submitted by Lorianne Karsemeyer. I made a few changes to the ingredients and instructions.
Head over to the Recipe Round-up at Cooking Up A Sale to find out what else you can make this week using Meijer sale items!
Lisa DeBoer is a West Michigan wife and mother who loves to spend time in the kitchen. She enjoys the challenges of menu-planning around grocery sales and creating delicious food using on-sale ingredients. Lisa blogs about two of her favorite topics ~ FOOD, and saving money on groceries ~ at www.cookingupasale.blogspot.com.